Just show up.
If you don’t read anything else other than those first three words, just remember them. Just. Show. Up.
There is no secret to getting better at anything. You improve by doing. And the only way to do something is to show up.
If you don’t show up. You’re doing something else. You’re not working on getting better. You’re not improving. You’re regressing.
If you show up. You get in extra practice, extra reps, extra time. You can practice working on your technique. You can get feedback. You can work on the things you suck at.
In order to get better – YOU MUST SHOW UP.
Showing up is just the first step though. But I think its the most important.
- If you don’t show up and someone else does. That other person is going to get better than you.
- If you don’t show up as frequently as someone else, chances are that other person is going to get better than you quicker.
Do you want to suck for the rest of your life? No, of course you don’t. So what do you have to do?
SHOW THE F*CK UP.
It’s really simple. If you want to get better, you show up. Just show up!
It’s the first step.
Do whatever you have to do to get to where you need to be.
- Maybe all you have to do is open up the math book and read a chapter and do the example problems.
- Maybe you have to open up the computer and start learning how to code.
- Maybe you have to go to the gym to work out.
- Maybe you need to go to the golf course or the basketball court.
- Maybe you just want to build a social media following.
All you need to do is show up. That’s the first step.
If you don’t show up, you have no way of improving or building yourself.
Why SHOWING UP Matters
Think about all the things you’ve wanted to do or were thinking about doing. Maybe you did a bunch of research and wanted all the answers.
If you’re there, you get to put in the work. You’re going to try things out. You’re going to test yourself. You might still suck. But you’re there. And you’re working.
You can’t do anything, if you don’t show up. Simple as that.
What Happens if You DON’T SHOW UP
There are consequences for not showing up. Let me list them out and you can decide if you want to show up or not.
- You don’t improve
- You have time to do other things
- You can’t get feedback on whether you are getting better
- You don’t get experience
- Others that show up are going to get better than you
- People think you aren’t serious so they don’t invest time into you (yes it’s true).
I don’t want to be too honest and harsh here. I’m sure there are other reasons to not show up. I’m only here to tell you that you should show up if you want to improve.
Showing Up Is Important BUT…
Showing up is step #1. It is not the end all, be all.
You have to put in the work after you show up. Showing up is jsut the start.
If you aren’t smart about what you do, how you study, how you practice, or how you think and how you learn then you’re not going to improve all that much. But you will get a little better.
So I want to round out this article with some tips to take with you AFTER you show up.
- Studying and learning right are both REALLY important
- Learn why you got things wrong or why you’re messing up.
- Always try to analyze what went wrong so you can make corrections
- Make small adjustments each time. Don’t try to make big changes. Sometimes its just very minor tweaks that make all the difference.
- Use losses and failures as feedback. This means don’t just get upset that you loss or failed. But figure out WHY. So you can make changes so you don’t make the same mistakes.
- Learn from others. When you show up. Get help. Ask people better for you for help. Getting the right mentors is important.
- GET EXPERIENCE. This is key. And this happens when you show up. Experience trumps all. So get your hands dirty and get to work.
If you want to get better, SHOW UP. Just remember that. You have to show the f*ck up.
So get off the computer and go show up.
Be Bold. Be Alpha.