If you’re not in, you’re out.
The season is changing here in America from Winter to Spring so there’s no better time than now to put out our Spring 2015 Fashion Guide.
Now you need to understand a few things:
- What you wore in the winter will look weird if you wear the same thing in the Summer
- What you wore last year might not be in style this year
- You do not need to spend a lot of money to dress well
- You are judged based on how you look first and foremost so fashion is super important
- Girls usually keep up with fashion trends better than guys
- Girls understand the importance of investing in clothes more so than men
- Your clothes are an investment. The return equals more success with girls, your career, and better treatment in general (respect)
There are a few staples you should always have in your closet for spring.
Let’s first talk about the basics and essentials from the top down
Sunglasses aren’t super essential but they are something you should consider having because you don’t want to be squinting when the sun is shining in your face.
Plus all the cool kids have sunglasses nowadays.
The type of sunglasses you get will either make you look cool or make you look like a geek.
The sunglasses that are in style right now are very similar to what was in style last year.
The best tip I have for you to see what type of sunglasses are in style is to see what type of sunglasses people like Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are wearing. Whether you love or hate them, they are trendsetters right now.
T-shirts are all personal preference depending on your style.
- If you want to go with a more stylish mature look try to go without logos or images on your shirt.
- If you want a more youthful hip look then images would help.
What you don’t want is to get cheap t-shirts with crappy images that make you look like a fool.
Stay away from:
- Big word t-shirts
- Cartoon images on your shirt like spiderman and flash gordon. We aren’t 12.
- Advertisements. We aren’t walking billboards and this screens free t-shirt.
Crew neck vs. V-neck
- Either work
Where you should buy your t-shirts from
- American Apparel
- Vintage clothing stores
- Urban Outfitters (some of their shirts are okay…maybe are becoming too main stream and cheap)
Here’s a tip. Make sure your t-shirts aren’t skin tight around the bottom (arms are okay) because that’s not really masculine.
A button up shirt is a little more formal for going out for drinks or dinner or a date. You can roll up the sleeves to give it a more casual look.
- Based on my review it looks like demin/solids/and floral print is in style this year.
- Plaid is on its way out of style. So if you’ve been wearing plaid now’s the time to make an upgrade to stay in style.
Try to stay away from short sleeve button up shirts. They may be comfortable but they give off the nice guy impression we don’t want.
What you don’t want to do is use a “dress shirt” and pretend this is a button up casual shirt. It’s easy to spot and not a good look. Keep the dress shirts for suits.
A light hoodie is good to keep you warm as Spring weather still fluctuates. American Apparel offers some good looks but they are a little thin.
You’ll need a jacket but nothing super warm like a winter coat. Here’s what looks good right now and you can layer over your t-shirt or sweatshirt.
Here’s a good example of a lightweight jacket that is versatile enough for the day time and night time.
This J. Crew jacket is a little pricey but try to find something similar.
- The cuff sleeve helps if the jacket runs a little long
- No collar eliminates the NICE GUY look
A pair of jeans are essential in any closet, however, the style of jeans have changed dramatically over the past ten years.
What was once in style is no longer in style.
- Distressed jeans are not cool any more. This means jeans that are bleached and with holes in them.
- Jeans with a lot of stitching on the back pockets are not cool. This means means True Religion jeans any anything similar to them are to be burned and kept away from your closet.
The best type of jeans to wear right now are selvedge jeans. Selvedge is a form of raw demin that changes over time on its own. Typically they are just dark blue jeans.
I personally buy my jeans at Self Edge in NYC. It’s pricey though but you really only need one or two pairs of jeans for a year or two so it’s not really that bad compared to buying a bunch of low quality ugly jeans.
Classic is in. Slim to tapered is better than wide leg.
Slacks / Pants
Hands down the best type of pants to get for Spring are from J Crew. Just make sure you get them hemmed to fight if the length is too long.
These 484 Chino’s are slim and fit well. They look classic but have a little worn look to them so they don’t look brand new. Girls will think you look hot and you’ll think you look like money.
I’ve always been a fan of khaki shorts with the exception of when cargo shorts were “in” back in the early 2000s.
Right now it seems like cargo shorts are not cool. Abercrombie made them popular and if you know anything about Abercrombie then you know that no one really shops there any more.
Shorts at or a little above the knee are what I would recommend to you.
Board shorts work if too you’re going for the laid-back beach / skater look. No problem with that.
You have a few options with shoes depending on the look and occasion but you can’t go wrong with any of these.
Chucks – versatile and for every occasion.
Boat shoes – laid back and stylish. Works with jeans, pants and shorts. For going out or for hanging out.
Basketball shoes – your go to should be Nike Air Jordan’s if you get basketball shoes. Keep them clean.
Boots – for going out or looking super stylish get some boots. They look better than dress shoes which should be only worn with suits.
You don’t need a lot to get a good wardrobe. One of each of these essential items will do you a lot more good than a lot of crappy clothes.
- Remember, out with the old and in with the new. Stay up to date with fashion so you can stay Alpha.
- No one wants to be THAT GUY people talk and make fun of because of how he dresses.
More to come…